Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Vending Machines
    I've never seen a vending machine that accepts credit cards, which surprises me considering the much greater convenience this would provide. Are these around yet, and if not, do you think this idea has any promise?

Share on facebook

2. Collapse Details
    Hello, I think this is could be a great innovation in the Vending Machine business. BUT, I personally do not think that it is a good idea to have a vending machine accepting Credit Cards because it is impractical. Vending machines are designed to sell products on a per piece basis, i.e. a bottle of water, a can of soda, etc. Imagine, if you are going to buy a bottle of water for $x only, before you swipe that card, think of the extra charges that your credit card company would add to it, i.e. transaction service charges, etc.

Share on facebook

3. Collapse Details
    The number one issue with vending machines is location, the really good locations are going to occupied by the owners of those businesses. IF they let you use their spaces for your machines they are probably going to want a pretty good chunk of your profits.

Your idea of taking card payments is good, but the technology may not be here yet to fully implement what your vision is. I can see some type of micro payment debit card product being utilized for this purpose or better yet something like a smartphone app that will do the job without having the typical creditcard reader hardware issues.

Look into near field communications, this is what the cell phone technology is called that is being developed to do these types of transactions. The security is going to be the toughest part of the puzzle. The thieves are always the first to embrace and exploit new ways of doing things.

Good Luck to you

Share on facebook

4. Collapse Details
    The technology is definitely there. In most stores around here you just enter your card and pin code into a machine... the exact same thing would work with a vending machine. For example, the ticket machines in the metro also have a pay by card option.

If it's worth it... I doubt it. While it would be more convenient, using a credit card for a $1 purchase might end up being quite expensive depending on the type of fees you have. Quite a lot of places don't accept credit cards for very small amounts exactly due to those fees.

Share on facebook

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by heymister View Post
    I've never seen a vending machine that accepts credit cards, which surprises me considering the much greater convenience this would provide. Are these around yet, and if not, do you think this idea has any promise?
    I see vending machines that accept credit cards all over the place. I think that it would be great if they developed NFC technology and they could accept payment by smartphone. Vending machines are becoming a fast, easy way to get pretty much anything! I've even seen one dispense gourmet cupcakes.

Share on facebook

6. Collapse Details
    It's a good idea considering in todays day in age most people carry around credit cards more then cash, but the idea is impractical and would be hard to make it work flawlessly.

Share on facebook

7. Collapse Details
    I'm thinking we'll be majorly skipping over the credit card step and jumping right into direct payment view smartphone app-type technology. Credit card companies take a percentage cut of sales, and while the added convenience may very well still be profitable for vending machine providers, there is already better, more efficient technology on the market. Had the industry jumped on the idea 10 or even 5 years ago it might have worked out. Clear case of missed opportunity.

Share on facebook

8. Collapse Details
    I liked the smartphone idea someone mentioned above... It would be cool to have some sort of app that allows you to make purchases and tag it on your phone bill

Share on facebook

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MLeoCasas View Post
    I'm thinking we'll be majorly skipping over the credit card step and jumping right into direct payment view smartphone app-type technology. Credit card companies take a percentage cut of sales, and while the added convenience may very well still be profitable for vending machine providers, there is already better, more efficient technology on the market. Had the industry jumped on the idea 10 or even 5 years ago it might have worked out. Clear case of missed opportunity.
    Exactly a great idea! The main problem with the credit cards are the frauds I presume. You never know who did tinker with the vending machine you are puttiing your credit card in!

Share on facebook

10. Collapse Details
    They have them here in GA. Not everywhere but at the bigger theme parks and hospitals. I am not sure how I feel about them as I agree with the above the machines are meant to grab a drink or snack! However I must admit I have used my card there before and have been very grateful it accepted them as that was all I had!

Share on facebook